Finding the right type of window blinds for your home without spending a lot of money can be challenging. The real secret is locating a window covering that is functional and cost effective. To do this, you’ll need to learn to shop differently than you might have in the past. Be open to online deals and most importantly, ask questions.
The window blinds you buy should be based on where they will be placed. If your window is close to the floor or in a corner, you’ll want window treatments that offer fullness and style . This includes shutters and mini-blinds.
If your window is higher and larger than normal, you can choose window blinds with more attractive design elements such as valances and pleated shades. These window treatments work best if you own or rent high-end homes because of their price tags. Keep in mind that there are affordable options available for just about any budget!
When shopping for window blinds, remember that window coverings come in very different sizes and styles – one size does not always fit all! For window-mounted window treatments, measure before buying. When measuring window blinds and shades, keep in mind the size of the window and add at least six inches on either side to accommodate window mounting hardware.
For window blinds that are installed on walls, you’ll need to determine how high up on the wall they’ll be mounted – no matter what window covering you choose! Make sure to add the height of your window panes into your calculations for best results. You can also install decorative molding or other tall baseboard around windows for an even more stylish look .
When it comes time to actually buy your window treatments, you should always buy them online if possible. This way, you get a large selection at affordable prices without driving all over town. If you must go window shopping in person, try to visit window blinds showrooms between 1-5pm on weekdays , when new inventory is usually delivered.
Window treatments are an important part of every home. Without them, windows can let out a lot of heat in the winter and be far more drafty than they need to be in the spring and summer months. This wastes money! Don’t forget that window coverings also have style benefits that are hard to deny – after all, why settle for regular shades or curtains when there are so many options? You’ll find exactly what you’re looking for if you know where to look!
Cost, value and placement for your window blinds
Our gut instinct when shopping for window coverings is to get the best deal possible. We try to balance this out with our decor, yet we often “settle” on window coverings due to budget constraints.
It’s an easy trap to fall into, so please consider the following advice:
- How often do you want to replace your blinds? Buying low end window coverings now can save a few dollars, but is it worth it long term? Buy new blinds once, get as many years out of them as possible.
- Put cheaper blinds in areas that make the most sense. Consider installing cheaper blinds in rooms that see less activity. Blinds that aren’t opened and closed as as often see less wear and tear over time. In higher traffic living spaces, consider a quality blind that has greater resilience.
Bargain shopping for blinds
Most people do their window blind shopping locally. On the surface, this makes sense. You can touch, test and examine potential blind choices in person. Unfortunately, this luxury can come at a cost. There are also challenges with online shopping. Prices can be better, but you might forget pricing from one day to the next. Worse, you forgot where you found a good blind sale.
To get the most out of your blind shopping (locally or online), incorporate the following tips:
- Keep a working notebook with you at all times. Use a pen and paper to track down potential blind choices you’re looking at. Write down the date, store, price of the blinds in your notebook. Also, write down what your like about the specific blind you’re considering.
- Broaden your search to include the Internet. Most people find the only advantage to shopping locally is the showroom to look at blinds. There are exceptions of course. Sometimes you can gain access to an industry veteran who has years of experience. But more often than not, they know brand names and little more.
Best places to shop for budget friendly blinds online
To be all inclusive in your search for window blinds, leave no stone unturned. Here are some of the best places to find budget friendly blinds:
- Amazon’s blind and shade department. They have ongoing sales running along side of their already discounted pricing scheme. I’ve seen blinds going for clearance prices here more times than I can count.
- The Home Depot. This company has stores just about everywhere. The same exact thing would also apply to Lowe’s, so be sure to include them in your quest for cheap window coverings.
- Bed Bath & Beyond includes Blinds. It’s worth noting you’re not going to find much in the way of window coverings at your local store.
- Factory Direct Blinds. Fantastic deals here, especially if you pay attention to their “budget friendly” section. Window blind types available range from 25% off their regular price or more. This site has an outstanding selection of blinds available.
Final thoughts to remember before buying your blinds
No matter where or how you buy your window blinds, remember to always ask the following:
- Shipping, is there a deal to where you can get free shipping? If the answer isn’t readily available, ask. Locally, ask a sales rep. Online, email or chat with customer service to find out if this is an area you can save some money on.
- Can you get a discount if you include more than one blind? Also ask if buying over a certain dollar amount in blinds allows for a discounted rate on your total bill. The worst anyone can say is no.
- What is the return policy if you have buyer’s remorse? This last tip is an important one. Damaged goods, colors looked different in a showroom or in a web browser – these things do happen. Find out how easy it is to return purchased blinds should you need to. This usually means Amazon is your best bet.